Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Congrats Devon Travis!

As not only a Detroit Tigers fan, but a baseball fan in general, I understand that this is a business. Sometimes you are going to see a player you like be traded away from your favorite team. Hopefully you will get a player back who can address another need to help your team win. This off-season I saw a minor league player who I followed for the past year and a half traded away from the Tigers to the Toronto Blue Jays.


This is my second post about Devon Travis. My first post talked about him being traded this off season to the Blue Jays for Anthony Gose. Travis was blocked at second basemen by Ian Kinsler and the Tigers needed a centerfielder. This trade made sense for the Tigers, even though I really liked what I was seeing in Travis in the minors. I followed Travis since half through the 2013 season when he was making noise in single A ball. He would finish the season as the Tigers Minor League Player of the Year. He would follow up that season in AA and would have another good season for the Erie Seawolves.

Going into spring training Travis was somewhat considered a long shot to have win the everyday second base job for the Blue Jays. He never played about AA ball and he was competing with veteran players like Maicer Izturis and Ryan Goins. He did what he has done since he became a professional baseball player and hit the ball well. With a .352/.397/.463 slash line and six doubles. He hasn't hit any home runs this spring, but he could eventually be a 12-15 home run guy for the Blue Jays. Really glad to see him get his chance this year. He will be someone I follow this season and probably his whole career. He isn't a Mookie Betts, but he is a pretty good ball player.

No comments:

Post a Comment